1- Color Lookup
Color lookup is and interesting adjustment layer, and it comes with an effect that’s perfect to add contrast: Film Stock. Film Stock not only pushes the contrast, but also adds a bleach bypass effect:
- Create a Color Lookup adjustment layer.
- Set the 3DLUT file to FilmStock.
Let’s increase the contrast even more with a Curves adjustment:
- Create a Curves adjustment layer.
- Bring the lower left dark point to the right to increase the contrast slightly.
3- Black & White Adjustment
Now for the bulk of the effect, let’s add a Black & White adjustment and tweak the values around a bit:
- Create a Black & White adjustment layer.
- With this image, the main color tones were cyans and blues, but I found myself needing to adjust only the Cyan value to arrive at the effect I wanted.
- I set the Cyan value to -60 from a starting value of 60.
Easy as pie! Not much needed to be tweaked on this picture for an end result that looks great.