I took this shot very quickly thinking nothing of it and not even realizing that my ISO was set so high. I ended up liking the picture however and the effect of having the seat blurred out in the foreground. I applied just a few adjustments to create the high contrast black & white final image.
Before / After:
1- Color Lookup
Color lookup is and interesting adjustment layer, and it comes with an effect that’s perfect to add contrast: Film Stock. Film Stock not only pushes the contrast, but also adds a bleach bypass effect:
- Create a Color Lookup adjustment layer.
- Set the 3DLUT file to FilmStock.
Let’s increase the contrast even more with a Curves adjustment:
- Create a Curves adjustment layer.
- Bring the lower left dark point to the right to increase the contrast slightly.
3- Black & White Adjustment
Now for the bulk of the effect, let’s add a Black & White adjustment and tweak the values around a bit:
- Create a Black & White adjustment layer.
- With this image, the main color tones were cyans and blues, but I found myself needing to adjust only the Cyan value to arrive at the effect I wanted.
- I set the Cyan value to -60 from a starting value of 60.
Easy as pie! Not much needed to be tweaked on this picture for an end result that looks great.
🌄 Image info:
- Camera: Nikon D800
- Focal length: 66mm
- Shutter speed: 1/200s
- Aperture: f/6.3
- ISO: 1250
Hey! 👋 I'm Seb and I'm creating Purple11. It's is a passion project for me and I try to work on it as much as possible.
If you would like to help me out, you can let me know what you'd like to see next with this quick survey.
Plus, you can subscribe for email updates and you'll receive very occasional emails from me when I release something good:
Thanks so much for the support! ✌️+❤️