1- Levels adjustment:
First, we’ll use a Levels adjustment to make the darks even darker:
- Create a Levels adjustment layer.
- Move the black point slightly to the right, to bring even more darks in the shadows and almost fully hide the shirt. Here I used a value of 10.
- Also move the white point slightly to the left, just to brighten up the visible parts of the face and hands. Here I used a value for the white point of 225.
2- Hue/Saturation Adjustment:
Finally, we’ll give a blue and desaturated tint to everything except the fire from the lighters:
- Create a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer.
- Check the Colorize checkbox, and then play with the Saturation and Hue until you get something you like. Here I chose a Saturation of 25 and a hue of 228.
- Now click on the layer mark that’s associated with the Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and use a black paint brush to mask out the Hue/Saturation adjustment around the lighters and let the original color through.